MBR -- Getting tiresome. I really am sorry! (was Sorry, but I STILL can't sort out my MBR)

The

dd if=/boot/boot.0301 of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1

went through, ("1+0 in, 1+0 out" etc) but made no difference to booting --
still "Lil-" and system hangs.

also tried `lilo -U /dev/hda1' which seemed to work okay but didn't make any
difference to bootup either.

I also tried (treading dangerous ground now!) making every partition
unbootable apart from the NT partition, but that didn't work either, so I
restored it. Currently the ones active are:

/dev/hda6 -- that's my linux partition
/dev/hda2 -- that's a 4mb partition with boot.ini, io.sys and others, for
the NT boot loader
/dev/hda5 -- that's the NTFS partition containing NT

My system _did_ work before -- honest!!

Thank you all for still taking a notice of me (this is the 4th letter
concerning the MBR!)

Tristan