Re: Compiled new Kernel now I can't boot

Hi Keith;

I don't remember the 'mapping' for the device numbers now but I
think that 03:01 is the first partition on the first IDE drive.

Is that really where your root partition is located?

If not, then you can patch the correct boot device/partition into
the kernel with the 'rdev' command.

If you are doing something that allows you to get a 'boot:' prompt
then you can just pass the correct root device at boot time and
of course if using lilo that can be done automagically.

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 07:55:08AM -0400, Keith wrote:
> I compiled a new kernel and now I can't boot. It stops with a message
> like this:
>
> Kernel Panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:01.
>
> I can boot my old kernel from a floppy, so can I fix it or am I screwed?
> Any help would greatly be appreciated.
>
> Keith
> nfn11988@naples.net
>

> --

best,
-bill
                bleach@BellSouth.net
           b.leach@usa.net  LinuxPC@Hotmail.com
from a 1996 Micro$loth ad campaign:
"The less you know about computers the more you want Micro$oft!"
         See!  They do get some things right!