Re: Questions, questions, questions...*sigh*

Hi!
Ok lets see...
your hardware should be fine...I dont know about that sound card tho
(BTW
I have been advised to stay away from anything by SIIG...cheap stuff)
SOund is usually something you might wanna wait a while to setup :) it
can be
confusing.
My best advice is to take it slow at first...chances are you willl screw
your whole
systeme up a few times and hafta reinstall...but...
its all part of learning :)
ok partitioning...
yes your new 500 MB drive should be partitioned.
if it is ONLY going to have linux on it then...
2 partition sshoul db ejust fine...
lets assume that you have the drive as the second (slave) drive on the
first IDE
controller...under linux the second drive is called /dev/hdb and
partitions on it
are labeled /dev/hdb# (where # is the number of the partition)
you will have /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb2
/dev/hdb1 should be you rmain linux partition and take up most of the
drive
thats where all of your files go :)
/dev/hdb2 soul dbe swap space...I woul dmake this at least 32 MB
probably 64
this is used as "Virtual Memory" is under Win95 (except much more
eficently)
as for actually doing that...it will be taken care of as part of the
install
process

debian packages...hmm...
check out the web page on installing...
you will need to make up a set of install disks
it tells you how...I would suggest checking out www.cheapbytes.com and
buyig a CD of debian...the install will be alot easier
as for X ... I like FVWM but...its all personal preference...
they all pretty much work :)
-Steve

--
PGP Key at: http://www.gis.net/~sjc/pgp.asc
(BTW Thanx allot Noah for pointing out why putting my pgp key here was