Questions, questions, questions...*sigh*

Hello,

   I am new to Linux and haven't the slightest idea how it works, really. I'm attempting to install Debian later today. I have so many questions, it's sad. :-)

   First, let me tell you about my hardware, etc., in case anyone knows if anything is not supported by Linux:

Processor: AMD K6 233 mhz
CD: Mitsumi CD-ROM
Video Card: S3 Virge DX/GX PCI
Sound Card: Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound System (SIIG)
Mouse: Standard Serial Mouse
Keyboard: Standard 101/102 Key
Modem: Boca Internal Fax/Data PnP 33.6
RAM: 32 MB
Motherboard: KTX Mainboard (That's a lot of help, eh? *L*)
Printer: Canon BJ-300

   Okay, I have a harddrive currently running Windows95. Later today I'm installing another harddrive with approximately 500 MB to run Debian on. Should I have this second drive as a slave to the first one or should I put it as secondary and have my CD-ROM as the slave? My CD-ROM is currently running as the secondary IDE.

   Do I need to partition the harddrive I'm putting Debian on? If so, what do I use to partition it? How many partitions do I need? I've read quite a bit on partitioning and it seems there are several different types of partitions. What should each partition for Debian be? Could messing with the second drive destroy any data on my first one (the one with Windows95)?

   I've downloaded several Debian packages to my current harddrive. Will Debian be able to set them up from a different drive? What's the easiest way to do this?

   There seem to be a lot of X Windows. Which one is the best? AfterStep? FVWM?

   Lastly, having such limited knowledge about this, should I even ATTEMPT installing Debian? :-)

   I apologize for asking so many questions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sincerely,
James