Re: Diety / Apt Questions.

On 2 May 1998, lantz moore wrote:

> DZM> More elegant solutions involve using the xauth access-control
> DZM> mechanism.  If you are the only person on your system with root
> DZM> access, you can make things work by symlinking root's .Xauthority
> DZM> file to yours.  If multiple people have access, you can use xauth to
> DZM> grab X cookies with a command like
>
> DZM> xauth -f /home/me/.Xauthority extract - $DISPLAY | xauth merge -
>
> i find it convenient to add the following to roots .bashrc:
>
> if [ "$USER" != "root" ]
> then
>   export XAUTHORITY=/home/$USER/.Xauthority
> fi

Be very careful when doing this. If root ever writes anything to this file
using xauth, it will become owned by root and the normal user whose file
it really is will not be able to write to it.

The easiest solution, though it probably is overkill, is to use ssh to
connect to the localhost. If you run sshd, you can simply run 'ssh -l root
localhost', type root's password and be able to use the X display. ssh
takes care of the X authentication automatically. Originally this feature
was intended for remote connections. You can do something like 'ssh
remotehost' and have all X programs you run automaticlly use your local
display.

Remco