Re: recompiling kernel

"G. Crimp" wrote:
  >	I finally installed the kernel-package as you suggested.  I was
  >hoping first to find out where my problem was coming from with the
  >non-Debian specific kernel compile procedures.  I am back to square one
  >after trying `make-kpkg --revision custom.1.0 kernel-image'.  It poops out
  >at exactly the same place.
  >	Please note the following highlights from the following output.  I
  >do not have encaps on my system (`find / -iname encaps', `type encaps',
  >'file encaps' all negative).  To my mind, this means that the `else'
  >clause should be selected rather than the `then' clause of the `if'
  >statement (thus sidestepping the curious illegal `-k' option).
  >make[4]: Entering directory
  >/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/arch/i386/boot/compressed'
  >tmppiggy=/tmp/$$piggy; \
  >rm -f $tmppiggy $tmppiggy.gz $tmppiggy.lnk; \
  >if hash encaps 2> /dev/null; then \
  >  objdump -k -q  -o 0x100000 /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/vmlinux >
  >$tmppiggy; \
  >else \
  >  objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -R .stab -R .stabstr
  >/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.30/vmlinux $tmppiggy; \
  >fi; \
  >
  >[...]
  >
  >objdump: illegal option -- k

I have the kernel source for 2.0.33.  The equivalent text on my machine
says

	if bash -c "hash $(ENCAPS)" 2> /dev/null

Presumably someone else was having some kind of problem with this
feature.

Here are some things to try:

This is what I get if I run the test in the Makefile (I don't have an
encaps executable):

  linda:~$ hash encaps
  bash: hash: encaps: not found
  linda:~$ echo $?
  1

It returns a non-zero exit status.  See if your system does the same.
If it doesn't find encaps but gives a 0 exit status, try doing

  bash -c "hash encaps"

and see what error status that gives you.  (I don't see why there should
be a difference, but there must have been some reason for making this
change in 2.0.33.)

    Come to me, all you who labour and are heavily laden, and I will
    give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am
    meek and lowly in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls.
    For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.    (Matthew 11: 28-30)