Problem with my shell

  I wrote a postinst shell script for a package and when I went to test it
I get
 bash: ././postinst: no such file or directory
  I changed my PATH environent variable around a bunch, even took out .
and tried to run postinst with ./postinst and I get
 bash: ./postinst: no such file or directory

  I cut the script down to:
    #! /bin/sh

    echo Creating symlinks in directory

and I don't see that there's anything wrong with this. The file has
executable permissions.  If I go to /var/lib/dpkg/info and run one of the
scripts there with ./filename it runs fine.  It just seems to be any file
I create.
What's up with this?

				Jeffrey A. Shilt