Re: What's the storywith 2.0?

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Craig Sanders wrote:

[snip]
> a lot of users (note, users not only developers) have done this already
> and are very happy with the results.

I am one of them, except for the fact GV doesn't work :[ I have had no
problems. The upgrade was easy, everything worked as it always did. And
I'm not a developer nor super-linux-savy. It's been less than a year since
I got my debian 1.3.1 CD.

[snip]
> the long time to debian 2.0 is actually a deviation from previous
> history - *caused* by the fact that we are switching to libc6. in
> the past, anyone could safely install a few 'unstable' packages on a
> 'stable' system.

Just an ignorant question, how often do new libcs come out? What's the
story with glibc (how is it different from libc6)?

Also, do the hamm install disks work yet, or is it better when installing
from scratch to do a bo install and upgrade using the most excellent
autoupgrade script?

Andrew Tarr

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate"
|___
http://multinet.co.nz/personalhomepages/locusmeus/antechamber.html