Re: How to speed up the EMACS at start-up ?

Ionut Borcoman at debian <borco@mailbox.ro> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to all for the quick answer. The
>
> $ emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -f batch-byte-compile <source-file(s)>
>
> is what I've wanted. But this leads me to another question: now, as
> a 'system adminstrator" of my own PC, I just wonder which is the
> right way to add files to emacs and to make them available to those
> who are working on my computer.  For instance, I want to add the JDE
> and don't know exactly were to put it and how to make it system
> available.

Every Emacs has a site-lisp directory.  On a Debian system it's
normally /usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp or
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp.  Examine the variable load-path
within your newly created emacs and look for site-lisp components.
Just put your lisp file there and byte-compile it.

For bigger packages I suggest creating a subdirectory there, put all
the files into that directory, and create a file called
<package>-init.el which contains something like this:

(setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/<package>" load-path))
(require '<whatever might be neccessary to load your package>)
(provide '<package>-init)

The <...>-things are to be replaced.

        Torsten