Re: biff/new mail - blink LED indicators on keyboard

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980430220753.21870B-100000@serv1.3dillusion.com> you write:

>I have a program called 'bl' that does make the keyboard lights blink, but
>it only works if I'm logged on and I'm using the same tty as where it was
>executed -- ie, "sleep 3; bl -c console" doesn't work when I switch to
>another VC before sleep expires.. I don't know how it would work in X...

I think your problem here is that the kernel keeps state for each VC
independently, including the state of the keyboard LEDs. You may be able
to get round this by running a script as root that calls bl or similar for
all the visible VCs...

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
"Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky,                 +------------------