Introductory security texts - ssh, tcpd, tripwire?

Hi, I'm looking for a basic document describing how to take some basic
(but important) steps towards securing your computer.  Something that
describes to the new user how to use things like tcpd, ssh, tripwire,
and other things to keep their system secure.  Something that is not
comprehensive, but that would take the person through some of the more
important things that can make the system reasonably secure, at least
from attackers who are not determined.

This sounds like it would be quite an effort to write myself.. And I'm
not sure I have as much experience as I'd like..  Actually, what would
be perfect is if any of the Italian readers out there avessero
qualcosa del genere da mandarmi, che lo vorrei passare a un'amica:-)

Thanks for any suggestions:-)

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org