Diskless Debian, Shared /usr, etc...

I'm about to set up a diskless Debian workstation.  It's going to be
booting over NFS using 2Mbps Wavelan...  I know, not fast, but it's just
going to be dishing out .MP3's to my stereo system -- so quietness and
heat are the major concerns here.

I know I can just do a full install in some subdirectory on my main box,
but can I be more conservative with disk space and share some partitions
between both installations?  Any tricks, caveats, HOWTO's, etc?

Thanks for any advice,

Jeff, wondering how X is going to look on his TV set...

PS: If anyone has boot rom code for a WaveLAN card (ha!), please let me
know...  :)