Re: Faster swap by using separate disk?

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:

> Remco Blaakmeer writes:
> > > The second thing that you can do is to move up to the new "ultra-DMA"
> > > IDE drives. The bandwidth (bytes per second) is much higher than the
> > > standard IDE drives and will speed up Linux as a whole.
> >
> > If you want to really speed up your hard drives, switch to multiple SCSI
> > drives. Period.
> >

> Yes, to a point! If one is to go all the way, then make it "wide fast SCSI3"
> drives which spin at 10,000 rpm and use a PCI based RAID SCSI controller with
> _many_ of these GIGAbyte drives! Did anyone mention "myriabucks"? (one
> myriabuck = $10,000) 8-) The newer SCSI controllers will handle up to 15
> drives per cable. 8-) (not to mention the startup current blanking out half
> a city and the resonances sounding like a jet plane taking off 8-) )
> <Just joking!> In all due seriousness, while an IDE drive will never match a
> decent SCSI setup, IDEs are less expensive and "ultra-DMA" IDE drives, IMHO,
> represent the most "bang for the buck" (performance for the money)

hmm... I have 64 megs of EDO RAM and two ~104 meg swap paritions and Linux
rarely touches them, and even if it does, it only uses less than 10 megs..
Has Linux decided my 6-year old, 208 meg drive is too slow?

I've also had a swap parition on a 3-year old 1.2 WD drive, it's not UDMA,
but it is 310% faster than the older drive.. Linux didn't touch that
either .. I've even tried to make Linux use it by openning tons of huges X
programs (i.e.  multiple Netscape windows) and it'd only use about 15 megs
at max.

I have a 6.4 WD UDMA drive installed now, maybe I should try it out.  Is
it worth it?

BTW- the hdparm -t values for those IDE drives are approximately 1.05
megs/sec, 3.27 megs/sec, 8.51 megs/sec, respectively.

-Paul