Re: Is X breaking my monitor?

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, The Thought Assassin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Will Lowe wrote:
> > > Every few minutes,  the screen wavers a little -- like it was made of
> > > jelly and someone's shaking in just the slightest bit.  Is this a
> > > monitor problem,  or is my video card going,  or have aliens changed the
> > > properties of the local space-time continuum?
> >
> > Check for new sources of electromagnetic radiation that might have been
> > introduced to the vicinity.
> > Speakers, motors, toasters, UFOs...
> >
> > -Greg Mildenhall
>
> Also, is there an electric space heater or fan that might be "kicking in"
> about the same time as you notice the interference? Does the location of
> the system have old or overloaded wiring? Could it be that the timing of
> the interference coincides with the heating element of an electric dryer,
> aquarium heater, refrigerator compressor or automatic dishwasher pump?
> Do you notice the intensity of the room lighting changing at the same time
> or hear any background noise that might tip you off to the source?
>
> It might also be that the power supply in the monitor or trouble with its
> degaussing circuit.

Also, I had a radio interference problem when I first setup X ... you
should try changing the vertical and horizontal frequencies -- If your
situation only occurs in X, and not in a text based console, DOS, or
Windows, it is probably some type radio interference.

You may want to check the electrical wiring too.  Make sure that the
monitor cables aren't near power cables or any poorly insulated wires.

I hope this information will help more than the UFO theory!
-Paul