How to organize NFS server?

I have an old 486 with a few hard drives in it that I want to use as a
server. I'd like to store debian-packaged apps such as gcc, x11, xemacs etc
on the server, yet keep some functionality on my local drive so I don't
need the server all the time.

what is the best way to do this under debian? I thought of
exporting/mounting /usr on the server, but will that cause major problems?
What if I have a local /usr directory? Will I still be able to access it
when not using the server?

Also, what does the group think about using a /apps directory instead of
/usr ? I know it's not filesystem standard, but it seems this might get
around a lot of problems of mounting /usr remotely.

btw I have about 500MB of local space and up to 4GB on the server.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Chris

please cc: me via email. Thanks.