Re: How to organize NFS server?

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, Chris R. Martin wrote:

> I have an old 486 with a few hard drives in it that I want to use as a
> server. I'd like to store debian-packaged apps such as gcc, x11, xemacs etc
> on the server, yet keep some functionality on my local drive so I don't
> need the server all the time.

snip ...

> Also, what does the group think about using a /apps directory instead of
> /usr ? I know it's not filesystem standard, but it seems this might get
> around a lot of problems of mounting /usr remotely.
>
> btw I have about 500MB of local space and up to 4GB on the server.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give me!
>
> Chris
>
> please cc: me via email. Thanks.

I would consider installing the amd package and editing auto.misc to add
automounting of /misc/debian.  This results in the automatic NFS mounting
of /misc/debian whenever it is referenced.  After a while if not being
used, it wil be auto-unmounted.

Install amd on all the network machines and reference the proper path on
the nfs server in each of the auto.misc files or distribute auto.misc via
NIS.

George Bonser

If I had a catchy quip, it would be here.