Installing Debian hangs on "Loading root.bin...." (4 dots) from the resc1440 disk

Installing Debian hangs on "Loading root.bin...." (4 dots) from the
resc1440 disk. This is hapenning  on AST Ascentia 900N (486/75/20Mb)
laptop. I tried several diskettes, they are formatted in the same
physical drive (under DOS, I used rawrite2 to copy the images to
diskettes).

What is weird that the hanging does not occur on my other (Pentium) PC.

Is there anything I can do to bypass this?

Thanks, Milan