Re: Printing from windows

Will Lowe wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
>
> > I'm guessing you made the changes to your magicfilter /usr/sbin/XXX as I
> > instructed above (though you didn't reply to me). If you get gibberish out of the
> Yes,  I did,  thanks.

Ok.

> > double-sure you have the right printer defined in Win95.
>
> I installed the driver disks that came with the printer.  Just as a test,
> I tried printing to a file in Win95,  ftping it to my linux box,  and
> running "file" on it.  I got "data" back.  So I opened the file -- it has
> a whole mess of ^@ at the front,  so delete them and ran "file" again ...
> got back "HP Printer Job Language" ... ran "lpr" on it and it came out
> gibberish.

Editing the file is cheating so you've shown nothing. I can delete the back half of a
jpeg and 'file' will still say the file is a jpeg. Besides which fact 'file' and
magicfilter do not share the same "magic" info which identifies files.

Ok, if you're just determined you can try this. Before you tried to make another
printer on the same device, which didn't work because lpd was waiting for the device.
Here's what you do. You create that printer definition in /etc/printcap which simply
passes the raw data through to the printer. Now, in your magicfilter entry you change
the "lp=/dev/lp0" to "lp=/dev/null". Now, you change "if=/usr/sbin/<filtername>" to
"if=/usr/sbin/kludge<filtername>" and then create the script
/usr/sbin/kludge<filtername> as:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/<filtername> $* | lpr -P<newrawprinter>

Ok? Try this and tell us what happens.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com