Re: Printing from windows

> Editing the file is cheating so you've shown nothing. I can delete the back half of a
> jpeg and 'file' will still say the file is a jpeg. Besides which fact 'file' and
> magicfilter do not share the same "magic" info which identifies files.
Nononono.  The _front_ end of the file (which I've determined is a PJL
file) has a whole mess of control-@ characters.  If you delete them,  then
the magic identifiers used (most involve some variation on "EscPJL") are
visible.  Otherwise they're too far into the file (around 255 bytes) for
"magic" or "file" to find them,  and so they both think they're text
files.

This DOES work:
1) make some windows thing (ie. MS Word) print to a file
2) ftp the file to the linux host in BINARY mode
3) killoff lpd
4) become user "lp"
5) do "cat filename > /dev/lp1"

it prints just fine this way (even with all the crazy control characters
at the front).

But the default magicfilter option for text files is to run them through
"djscript",  and they don't print right that way.  Is there any way (other
than having a 255-character string in /etc/magicfilter/dj550c-filter) to
get magic to recognize this as a weird form of PJL and just cat it?

							Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |