Re: Need help configuring samba

On Sun, Mar 29, 1998 at 07:38:05AM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
> Now that I've got that much working,  Windows95 insists on asking me for a
> username when I log in (Enter a username to log on to Microsoft
> Networking).  Is there anyway I can get it to be the same username/passwd
> combination as the unix ones I use on the samba host?
Yes, just enter your unix username, then you will be asked for a password,
enter the unix password and confirm it after beeing prompted for
confirmation. The password Windows95 asks for is purely informational as far
as Windows95 is concerned. It uses it only to pass it on to Network servers
that may ask for it. (Or it will pass a certain hash constructed from it)

On the unix side you need to add

security = user

in the [global] section of your /etc/smb.conf

and

> And:  Now it can find my printer (on the samba host) fine.  But it says
> "User interaction required".  I tried printing a test page but nothing
> ever happened.  I imagine that this is because it needs me to log on to
> the samba host for it to be able to access the printer.
Yes.

> 1) How do I do this?
> 2) If I can set the username/passwd for "Microsoft Networks" the same as
> for the samba host,  will it happen automatically?
Yes after modifying /etc/smb.conf as above and a
killall smbd nmbd
just to make sure /etc/smb.conf is read next time you try.
(It is reread every minute if it has changed, so you could just wait some
time too)

> I don't want to make my printer globally available because I'm on a LAN
> here that has hundreds of other machines on it,  and I don't want them to
> be able to print to my printer.
They will need a user name and a password on your Linux box ;-)

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *