Re: PINE Debian Package

On Wed, Apr 22, 1998 at 11:06:47PM -0700, George Bonser wrote:
> > Currently the only way to use maildir with sendmail is via the (excellent)
> > procmail patch.
>
> Or you can use exim but that is a whole other thread.
>
> Also, what about systems where the spool and the home directory are BOTH
> NFS mounts? Actually, I never deal with that situation.  I like a central
> mail server with a local spool and user home accounts that are really NFS
> automounts. In most of the situations I work in, the user's home directory
> is not even local to the user's own desktop machine, it is an NFS
> automount. That is why IMAP is used. We want no email to physically reside
> on any of the workstations, it resides either in the main mail spool or on
> the user's home directory that lives on a large Auspex file server.

Maildir deals with that as well, if I recall.  The maildir FORMAT deals
with NFS.  The location of it (home dir) is a security thing.

> As for the source package thing, if the binary generated by the user is
> exactly the same as the binary that would be provided in a .deb, what is
> the point?  It seems like a lot of extra work that changes absolutely
> nothing. Maybe I am a Rebel Without a Clue on this but it sure seems
> like a classic case of cranial rectosis to me.

Yes, on the part of the people writing their licenses.  qmail cannot be
distributed in binary form without permission at all.  This makes it very
non-free.  Pine can be distributed as pristine binary, but now with Debian
patches (many of those bugfixes..)  Both are really Not Very Bright
licensing terms.

I'll deal with qmail since I like it enough to put up with it.  I have
pine on the system and put up with it because I have users who like pine
(though since I have now a clue as to how to configure mutt (a nice user
friendly config program like the one in pine would be nice) I am happy to
to do so for the added features, like the ability to thread or not thread
certain groups, better mime support, PGP integration, clean support for
non-mbox mail formats, and more still I'm just learning.)