Re: smail Hostnames

> On Sat, Apr 18, 1998 at 08:48:49PM -0500, Art Lemasters wrote:
> >      Here's the question.  How can a machine receive mail
> > with smail to its own host and domain, yet continue to download
> > mail from an ISP that has a different domain name?
>
> Depends on your network topology, of course. However, I guess that your
> DNS mail exchange records for your own machine will look like:
>
> 	IN 	MX 1 yourownhost.com (this makes it its own default)
> 	IN	MX 10 relayhost.com (the alternate relay host)
>
> Mail to both will be addressed to yourownhost.com - so no need to receive
> mail as two different domains. Relayhost is just a routing stop - or you
> could use relayhost all the time, just letting mail go through it to you
> when you're up, and holding mail for you when you're down. However, the
> setup I showed is probably better - you want to be your own default
> relay, unless there's a pressing reason why not.

    Thanks, Marco.  Do you mean by writing a .forward file to
the account on relayhost.com, for example?  Would it still hold
the account's mail until downloads are requested (by fetchmail,
for example), or would it attempt to forward mail immediately
to yourownhost.com and give an error?

     I know these questions in regards to dynamic IP accounts are
a bother to some of you, but the answers could certainly propogate
the use of Debian LINUX if well-documented.

     Thanks again, Marco.

Art