Re: PPP dies early / some progress

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Erik van der Meulen wrote:
> I have made some progress towards solving the problem. It
> turns out that my machine insisted on having the IP address
> for the session with my ISP, which is used as address for the
> serial device on incoming connections. I have defined this in
> my /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0. If I remove that entry, the connection
> gets established. Now I have to find a way to use the serial interface
> for both incoming and outgoing connections. Any ideas?
Changing it manually:)
Well, perhaps setting up something that will do this when you switch
modes.
If you remove that file, you can explicitly name the IP address when you
start ppp for an incoming connection.
ppp also has the ability to suggest an IP address, but to accept whatever
the remote demands. An incoming box should listen to the suggestion,
whereas your ISP will override it.

> Unfortunately, after this not all is well. After pppd exchanges IP
> addresses, it reports something like:
> 	ppp not replacing default route to eth0[192.168.1.255]
> This is my network board. So I am still not talking to the
> world.
Your box thinks that it can reach the world via your ethernet card.
Shatter it's illusions.
Somewhere in the bootscripts, you will have a "route add default gw" line
which you don't want. Then you will have no default gateway, and ppp won't
think twice about setting your ISP up as your gateway.

7~he 7~hought /|ssassin