Re: mgetty & log files

Hi,

Paul Miller wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, shaul wrote:
> > > It seems that mgetty stops logging information after the logs have been
> > > cycled.

Well, it doesn't "stop" logging, it continues logging to the old file - if
you have "cp"ed the file away and then "rm"ed the old file, it's still
open (!) and won't go away until the last process closes it.

Always move the files away with "mv" (then mgetty will continue logging to
that file, now with the new name "log_mg.ttyS0.old" or whatever), never
use cp/rm.

> > > If I kill mgetty, it restarts and begins logging again...

Restarting mgetty will make it reopen the log file.

> > > Is
> > > there a safe way to tell mgetty the logs have been cycled w/o killing
> > > mgetty?

No. Why would you want to?  Just wait for the next caller.

> > It doesn't happen on my system, although we might have a different version of
> > mgetty. Perhaps there is a bug with mgetty ? Have you tried the mgetty mailing
> > list ?

This is definitely no bug in mgetty, and it's definitely not version
dependent -- this is just the way Unix files work.

> I'm using:
> mgetty+sendfax by Gert Doering
> experimental test release 1.1.9-Aug17

If you use voice, or GNU libc2, I recommend going to 1.1.14 -- but that's
irrelevant for the behaviour you describe.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de