PPP dies early / some progress

My initial problem:

> I am doing my best to get a ppp connection with my
> ISP working. I would have expected this to be fairly
> easy, because my provider supports Linux and has some
> scripts available for this purpose.
> Unfortunately, this did not turn out as easy as I hoped.
> My modem dials my provider and the script manages to get
> me logged-in. I seem to receive an IP address for the session,
> but after a second or three the line drops and I am lost.

I have made some progress towards solving the problem. It
turns out that my machine insisted on having the IP address
for the session with my ISP, which is used as address for the
serial device on incoming connections. I have defined this in
my /etc/ppp/options.ttyS0. If I remove that entry, the connection
gets established. Now I have to find a way to use the serial interface
for both incoming and outgoing connections. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, after this not all is well. After pppd exchanges IP
addresses, it reports something like:

	ppp not replacing default route to eth0[192.168.1.255]

This is my network board. So I am still not talking to the
world. The /etc/ppp/options file my provider has provided reads:

> # /etc/ppp/options -*- sh -*- general options for pppd
> asyncmap 0
> crtscts
> defaultroute
> lock
> modem
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> -detach

It probably does not take ethernet boards into account.
Could any of you guru's out there point me in some direction
where to tackel this one? Very much obliged,

--
Erik van der Meulen
mailto:erik@avondel.xs4all.nl