Re: Mouse Failure in X

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Christopher J. McNicholas wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm using a Mouse Systems serial mouse.
> When I startx, twm starts up fine, but as soon as I touch the mouse,
> it disappears and I can see a little activity in the lower left
> corner of the screen (the entire virtual desktop panned as though I
> moved the mouse down there) However, the cursor seems to be stuck in
> the corner. Clicking and moving doesn't do anything. X is *not*
> locked up however, the focus is still on the login xterm, so "exit"
> works to get out. No error messages are reported when I'm out of X.
> What do I need to do to get "unstuck"?
> This is my current config:
>
> Section "Pointer"
>     Protocol	"MouseSystems"
>     Device	"/dev/ttyS0"
>     Emulate3Buttons
>     Emulate3Timeout	50
> EndSection

A quick fix: set the mouse type to "Microsoft"

If that doesn't work: backup your X config like this:

  cp /etc/X11/XF86Config

and run XF86Setup, a gui tool to setup X. It autodetects your mouse
correctly in most cases. You can either use the config file it generates
or just the info about the mouse.

Cheers,

Joost