Mouse Failure in X

Hi!
I'm using a Mouse Systems serial mouse.
When I startx, twm starts up fine, but as soon as I touch the mouse,
it disappears and I can see a little activity in the lower left
corner of the screen (the entire virtual desktop panned as though I
moved the mouse down there) However, the cursor seems to be stuck in
the corner. Clicking and moving doesn't do anything. X is *not*
locked up however, the focus is still on the login xterm, so "exit"
works to get out. No error messages are reported when I'm out of X.
What do I need to do to get "unstuck"?
This is my current config:

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol	"MouseSystems"