Re: Mouse Failure in X

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Joost Kooij wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Christopher J. McNicholas wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > I'm using a Mouse Systems serial mouse.
> > When I startx, twm starts up fine, but as soon as I touch the mouse,
> > it disappears and I can see a little activity in the lower left
> > corner of the screen

 This is a sign that the mouse is not using the Mouse Systems protocol,
but rather the Microsoft protocol. My mouse has a switch on the bottom
that I have to change on those rare occasions that I boot Windows.

 Some mice require you to hold a button down when powering up in order to
switch to Mouse Systems mode.

> A quick fix: set the mouse type to "Microsoft"

 Very likely to work, but you'll only have two buttons. Try to get the
mouse to speak Mouse Systems if you can...

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735      ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

              Anagrams of "FANUC Robotics North America":

 bun of characteristic maroon             omaha reconstruction fabric
 a cubic transformation chore             cherub fractionation macros
                      cube of anachronistic mortar