Re: HELP!!!

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:

[litany of problems snipped]

> IDE and put in a ISA IDE controler, and it worked just fine I don't
> hoeveer consioder this a solution becaus eit is a NEW motherboard which
> i got Saturday Is it possible that the IDE controller is a buggy one or
> of a weird chipset that will not work under linux? (installing bo so
> kernel 2.0.29)
>
> the board is a BioStar 8500 TTD (it is a TX chipset)  where can I find
> this out? should I just return this borad and try to get a new board of
> a diffetn model and company (I already returned this board once and got
> it replaced...to no avail)

My advice: run for the shop and get another board. Another brand and
model. I don't know how you value your time, but I would certainly shell
out some money if it would save me a week of hassle.

I have had some hassle with linux now and then, but the time that I put in
solving problems I have always found well-invested. I've always come out
better and knowing more.

With hardware, I find that problems are almost always intensely
frustrating. The only thing I've ever learnt from hardware problems is
that you're best choice is to look at it for no more than an hour and
bring it back to the shop.

Don't feel embarassed towards the shop personnel or yourself. If the shop
only sells motherboards of the crappier^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hcheaper sorts, go to
another shop to buy the replacement.

Hardware problems are my only reason for not buying stuff from mailorder
companies, although they're usually much cheaper and often carry known
good brands. On more than half the computers that I've bought (I regularly
buy computers for friends and relatives) I had to go back to the shop to
get a replacement or an upgrade.

I don't expect any software to run stable on rotten hardware. Because I
buy equipment for other people, I want the hardware to work 100% because
I don't give support on Windows (people tend to take it as an excuse to
not try to figure things out themselves anymore - besides, having to give
windows support is a form of mental abuse anyway.)

Good luck,

Joost