HELP!!!

A friend of mine sent out an e-mail about this last night (taking
half-assed dictation in his own way) I woul dlike to elaborate and
ask again for help...I am desparate.
Last thursday I was recompiling my kernel (2.0.29) on a hamm system
(pre-freze but this had worked b4) and I got the dreaded SIGNAL 11.
I checked out the SIG11 FAQ...and as it mentioned I ran Make again and
it went a little farther and died again..as the FAQ says "then it must
be a
hardware problem".
I replaced the motherboard.
On the new motherboard I am having still major problems.
I have swapped out nearly every part, to no avail
Here are the symproms:
I can boot MS-DOS and use Loadlin to start the Debian installation
I can install with no errors (checking badblocks etc, remaking the
partition table etc - I make a 1024 MB root partition,
a 128 MB swap partition, and the rest of the 3.2 gig drive is for
/home)
When I reboot...
The BIOS does "its thing" and comes to
"lilo" after which I see "loading Linux" and then it pauses for up
to 20 seconds...then it gives me "Error 0x20" and stops
if I again boot DOS and go into the install...
then on the seocnd VC I run "e2fsck -f /dev/hda1"
it comes up with major errors and deletes most of the filesystem
(I once saw nearly everything gone leaving only the
"lost+found" directory)
I tried this hard drive in a second computer, it installs linux fine
when that drive is moved back to this computer, it exibits
the SAME refusal to boot...however I disabled the onboard
IDE and put in a ISA IDE controler, and it worked just fine
I don't hoeveer consioder this a solution becaus eit is a NEW
motherboard which i got Saturday
Is it possible that the IDE controller is a buggy one or of a weird
chipset that will not work under linux? (installing bo so kernel 2.0.29)

the board is a BioStar 8500 TTD (it is a TX chipset)
where can I find this out? should I just return this borad and try to
get a new board
of a diffetn model and company (I already returned this board once and
got it
replaced...to no avail)
a quick response is apreciated
I have over 1000 e-maisl on my ISP...and have been without a home PC
for almost a week....
This is really setting back my projects and things
if you need any more info please let me know
-Steve

--
-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison
between NT 4 and Linux =-