Re: Routing with Debian?

Jonas Bofjall wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, George Bonser wrote:
>
> > The router finds the hardware (or MAC) address by broadcasting a request
> > to the network.  It basicly asks "Does anybody here know what the MAC
>
> This is the ARP request described in the NAG. But there is also some kind
> of cache which can be viewed with `arp -a'. What causes the router to
> ignore the cache and send out an ARP broadcast (again)?

The usual timeout for ARP entries is 30 seconds IIRC. That doesn't mean that some
hardware might do something different.

> > As for your routing problem ... do you have a "real" IP address assigned
> > to that laptop?  If you are using something like 192.168.x.x it is not
>
> Yes, I understand that. The IP address is on the Internet. The workstation
> that had it before (turned off to prevent conflicts) is sitting next to
> the one which is PLIP-connected to the laptop, so they are definitvely on
> the same router.
>
> This must be something a lot you guys do on a daily basis? I mean it
> should be nothing strange about it. I believe my problem is how to force
> the router to forget what MAC this IP has. (But I'm not absolutely sure..)

You can't force the router to forget. At my client site they have cabletron
hardware which does bridging. There if you move your box to another network port
you generally are "cut off" from everyone (save those on your same unbridged
segment) for several hours. Be careful about assuming routers will do "the right
thing" or even "a sensible thing".

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com