Re: Routing with Debian?

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> The router finds the hardware (or MAC) address by broadcasting a request
> to the network.  It basicly asks "Does anybody here know what the MAC

This is the ARP request described in the NAG. But there is also some kind
of cache which can be viewed with `arp -a'. What causes the router to
ignore the cache and send out an ARP broadcast (again)?

> As for your routing problem ... do you have a "real" IP address assigned
> to that laptop?  If you are using something like 192.168.x.x it is not

Yes, I understand that. The IP address is on the Internet. The workstation
that had it before (turned off to prevent conflicts) is sitting next to
the one which is PLIP-connected to the laptop, so they are definitvely on
the same router.

This must be something a lot you guys do on a daily basis? I mean it
should be nothing strange about it. I believe my problem is how to force
the router to forget what MAC this IP has. (But I'm not absolutely sure..)

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]