Re: Routing with Debian?

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> The usual timeout for ARP entries is 30 seconds IIRC. That doesn't
> mean that some hardware might do something different.

I went home unsuccesful and then returned today, two days after I fought
with this, because I had some ideas I wanted to try. So I booted the
system and -whoa- worked perfectly without a change. I don't know what
kind of router we have but it obviously keeps ARP values cached too long.
I'm a bit happy though, as the problem turned out to be exactly what I had
expected the whole time.

But one question remains: I changed Ethernet cards in a workstation
earlier the same say, and at that time I could access the net right away.
Why did it go so fast that time? Why did I have to wait many hours when
working on the laptop? What was the difference? I don't expect you to know
these answers :) as I don't know anything about our router. But it's
interesting to notice that this timeout obviously is *very* random.

Unless there is some sort of "inverse" ARP which lets the workstation
broadcast that "I am xx.xx.xx.xx with MAC xx:xx:xx:xx...".

> You can't force the router to forget.

This is surely something that is badly needed in IP.

> Be careful about assuming routers will do "the right
> thing" or even "a sensible thing".

;-)

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]