Re: how to cope with bad blocks (and off-topic: WD warranty policy)

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have now some bad blocks on my 2-year-old WD Caviar IDE drive. I'm not
>> overly concerned, because I have a brand new SeaGate, on where I install
>> hamm atm, but I wonder if linux can mark bad blacks as 'used', so that it
>> doesn't write on them anymore. Or how do you cope with bad blocks?
>> (I also get irq timeouts and drive resets, and then the system hangs. Why?)
>>
>> The drive has a three year warranty. Will WD fix the drive or sent me a new
>> one because of bad blocks? Has anyone has experience with WD warranty?
>> Should I try to make heavy use of the drive to detect more (soon to be) bad
>> blocks, as long as I have warranty?

 [If you have not thrown your HD around your house...]

 Bad blocks means that there is something wrong in the surface of the disk.

 Most likely there will be more sooner or later, and that will be on a disk
 that contains your data.

 It is a valid reason for warranty exchange or repair. I don't know any
 manufacturers that would repair HD's anymore, atleast if the defect is in
 the disks or in mechanics.. repairs are worth it only conserning the electronics
 parts.

 Contact the place you bought the drive, they know the procedure, some manufacturers
 do the change themselves, some operate only through dists.

 (Me does this for work, forget any beliefs, that brand xyz, model xyz won't blow up :))

 .. And did I mention backups?

	--j