Re: how to cope with bad blocks (and off-topic: WD warranty policy)

   The drive has a three year warranty. Will WD fix the drive or sent me a new
   one because of bad blocks? Has anyone has experience with WD warranty?
   Should I try to make heavy use of the drive to detect more (soon to be) bad
   blocks, as long as I have warranty?

If the drive is actively developing more bad blocks, back up important
data *NOW*.  You may have as little as three days, or even less,
before it dies forever.  IDE drives do not develop bad blocks, in a
normal situation, unless they are about to die.  In my experience,
anyway.