Re: Reverse DNS lookup at telnet

On Sun, 12 Apr 1998, Scott D. Killen wrote:
> I run a server with Debian 1.3.1 installed.  This machine is set up as an
> internet gateway to a 3 bit subnet.  Diald is installed for automatic
> dialup internet connections.  My machine runs a caching name server that
> the machines on the subnet use as a nameserver.  The problem is that when I
> telnet from a machine on the subnet, the server does a reverse lookup of
> the connecting machine's IP address, but it can't answer it's own request
> so the Internet link goes up.  This makes telnet connections very slow...
> especially if the dialup connection doesn't work.
> How can I solve this problem?  I want to either stop doing reverse lookups
> when answering telnet requests, or, ideally, I want to set up bind so it
> can answer reverse lookups for addresses on my subnet....

What you appear to want is for your machine to be the primary DNS for
reverse lookups on your ISP's subnet (reverse lookups are delegated in no
finer granularity then 8bit blocks if I am not very much mistaken) when
the link is down, and for it to be a secondary when the link is up.

If this is indeed what you want, then use /etc/ppp/ip-up and
/etc/ppp/ip-down to effect this change.

-Greg Mildenhall