Reverse DNS lookup at telnet

I run a server with Debian 1.3.1 installed.  This machine is set up as an
internet gateway to a 3 bit subnet.  Diald is installed for automatic
dialup internet connections.  My machine runs a caching name server that
the machines on the subnet use as a nameserver.  The problem is that when I
telnet from a machine on the subnet, the server does a reverse lookup of
the connecting machine's IP address, but it can't answer it's own request
so the Internet link goes up.  This makes telnet connections very slow...
especially if the dialup connection doesn't work.

How can I solve this problem?  I want to either stop doing reverse lookups
when answering telnet requests, or, ideally, I want to set up bind so it
can answer reverse lookups for addresses on my subnet....

Thanks in advance,

Scott D. Killen
Scott Killen Software
http://www.skillsoft.com