Re: Multi-tasking

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Ian Keith Setford wrote:

> >     Is there a way I can multi-task in debian?  Like with Win95, you can
> > open two programs and switch between them.  I compare files, and it would
> > make my life easier if I could switch between two files, rather then
> > editing it, looking at a section, quiting, then editing and comparing it
> > with the other.  I use pico when I edit the files.
>
> Yes!  Debian has true multi-tasking.  You didn't mention if you are
> running X-Windows or not.  In any case, with X you may act just as if you
> are in Windows when editing a file.  If you are using the console just use
> your ALT-Key with a FUNCTION-Key at the same time to switch between VT's
> or virtual consoles.  So just use ALT-F1,F2 etc. to switch between them.

To add to that, there are a few things you can do regarding editing:
1) If you are using X, open up two pico sessions and then you can just cut
and paste between them.
2) If you are not using X, then (although I am not sure about this as I
always use X) you can install a non-X mouse cut-and-paste driver called
gpm, open up pico in two different VTs and then do the same sort of thing
3) If you are going to be doing a lot of editing, I would recommend
dumping pico for emacs:) Steep learning curve, but highly functional, runs
under both X and non-X, allows you to open up multiple buffers (i.e.
with a different file in each) and has a killer mode called ediff which
does a great colorful job at diff'ing files in different buffers (along
with a whole lot more). However, if you are just working with text files
and not programming languages, this option might be overkill.

Cheers.

--
Colin Telmer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
<mailto:telmerco@telmer.com>