Re: printer/fax/copier recommendations?

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> Is anyone using any of the combination printer/fax/copier units
> with linux?  There are some units where the fax and copier features
> explicitly state that the pc is not required.  But I'm concerned that
> the printer is some kind of win-printer similar to the win-modems.  Does
> anyone have any experience with these?  I'm looking at HP, Canon, and
> Xerox combination units, but so far their tech support has been pretty
> lame.  ("You don't have win95, I've never had anyone ask about solaris
> or linux.  Why do you want it on a network with an HP JetDirect print
> server?")
>
> I downloaded the hamm magicfilter, but I didn't see anything to support
> the combo units.  Any web resource suggestions would be welcome.

Ask tech support if it works with DOS (that they hopefully understand).

I'm using the Canon MultiPASS C2500.  It has a switch which puts it into
the straight printer mode (for DOS).  This emulates the BJC-4100, which
works with the BJC-600 driver in ghostscript.

This printer is not on the list for magicfilter, but I found a convenient
way to use it is to make a copy of one of the other filters (I used the
bj200) and change the two lines containing "-sDEVICE=bj200" to
"-sDEVICE=bjc600".  I named this bjc600-filter and now it shows up on the
list when running magicfilterconfig.

Bob

----
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org