Re: Non-Free Software

finn@midco.net wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Stephen Carpenter wrote:
>
> [snip ... and btw, your lines are exceptionally long. ]

sorry...here at work im stuck in win95...netscape doesn't have much for
helping you keep lines under 80 chars
(but I try)

> : I would like to see non-free debian packages on CDs...
> : it would make my life and the lives of many people easier...
> Of course it would.

as the center of my own universe I think thats reason enough(now if in
boston they would only get rid of the harvard,
central, and kendal train stations I coul dget to work faster...)

> : for CDROM vendors to include non-free debs....

> I think several people are missing the point.  Debian has a policy - it
> is the DFSG.  So, Debian's "Official" CD set does not include non-free
> (because that would be rather silly, wouldn't it?).

I can understand that

> Therefore, two immediate solutions come to mind.  Someone can either
> dredge through the licenses and figure out what may be safely
> distributed out of non-free,

I am looking now at non-free....its just a big mess...I woul dlove to see it
organized somewhat...pu tmore into line with
what the debian dist looks like
even tho it is not part of debian...and it is "non-free"...
as for working out the licenses...
I like that idea of organizing thme a bit more by license...
some things...like "these are what can be put on a CDROM and sold and these
can't"
I would be willing to work on at least putting a list together if anyone
else is interested
in helping out...
In fact (more because I want to have them and need to fill space on my new
"personal CD" but I intend tot akea  lookat the licences)
I am going to download all of non-free bins to take a look at
-Steve

--
-=Signature has been removed because it made an unfair comparison between NT
4 and Linux =-