Re: HP DAT drives

I've seen others here on the list cast a dark eye towards HP DAT drives. We use
one here in the office (yes, we too use dump) and I like it just fine. I just
wish I had a DDS2 unit. Anyway I'd say that the only acceptable alternative would
be an 8mm system. I would not recommend Travan. Why? For me I can stop at one
reason: media cost. Here's some example pricing for Travan 3 (1600MB native),
Travan 4 (4GB native), and 4mm DAT 90M (2.0 GB native), 4mm DAT 120M DDS2 (4.0GB
native) and 8mm 112M (2.5 GB native) taken from my most recent Micro Warehouse
catalog (all for quantity 1):

3M Travan 3    $33.99
Sony Travan 3   $31.99
Sony Travan 4   $35.99
Maxell Travan 3  $27.50 (reflects $10 on 2-pack)
Sony 4mm 90M $7.49
Sony 4mm 120M $13.49
Sony 8mm 112M $6.69
Maxell 4mm 90M $7.49
Maxell 4mm 120M $13.49
Maxell 8mm 112M $6.69
3M 4mm 90M $7.49
3M 4mm 120M $15.99
3M 8mm 112M $7.19

See what I mean? Maybe this isn't a big factor to you but it makes a difference
to me. Given the fact to you can get a used 4mm DDS drive for $200, I personally
would give Travan a miss. Also I would want to get a drive where I can shuttle
tapes to/from work since we've got a much faster internet connection there for
downloading whole debian distributions and the like.

Any, just a datapoint. If you want some pointers to cheap sources of used (have
you looked at the prices for new DAT drives?) drives, let me know.

Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Does anyone out there have experience with Hewlett-Packard SCSI DAT
> drives, specifically the 12/24 GB models?  I'm thinking about getting
> a backup system for my computer (which has 12 GB of HDDs), and this
> seems to be the best deal out there.  Do they cooperate nicely with
> other devices (HDDs) on a SCSI bus?  Does `dump' work okay with them?
> How loud is one of them; would it wake up me or my roommate when it
> kicks in for a backup at 3:00 a.m.?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ben.
>
> --