exim for intermittent ppp connection? Also fetchmail bombs out.

I'm wondering if exim can solve my problem with mail.

I am having some trouble with fetchmail.  I posted to this list previously,
But am uncertain that my message got through.  I installed sendmail, and am
uncertain I have it right.  Smail worked will for quite a long time.  After
a recent upgrade I saw some traffic on this list about needing to
reconfigure smail: that was a nightmare, having taken months when I finally
did get it going.  Now do it again?  I'm not sure I ever understood---wrong,
I'm sure I never did.

Sendmail is apparently working, but I'm not in command here either.  Someone
on the list warned that smail has been going strange places, which prompted
my change: I thought it might solve my problem with fetchmail.  Wrong.
Fetchmail's problem --- crashing during the middle of the first message
retrieval, every time, with an SMTP error because of failure to
connect---still continues.

I looked at exim.  Can exim do queues?  That is, can mail be queued and send
out (like runq) at the time of ppp connection?  That's critical.  Exim seems
to be saying it's best at managing systems that are connected full time.

Leaving all those aside for a moment?  Is it true about smail?

Alan Davis