Re: SAMBA w/ TCP/IP

On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 09:03:39AM -0300, Leonardo Ruoso wrote:
> I've heard about SAMBA! SAMBA uses NetBeui to do "Network
> Neighborhood"?
>
> 	If uses my wokgroup will be based on NetBeui and I'll get colised
> again. If what i want is use only TCP/IP in my Network... SAMBA'S
> NetBeui woks encapsuled on TCP (IP os UDP)?
>
> 	When I get to configure my Windows95/NT Network Clients i will use the
> Microsof Network Client in the same way I even do?

Almost right. Samba uses NetBIOS. NetBEUI is a protocol, ie lives at
the same OSI layer as TCP/IP. NetBIOS sits at a higher layer
(session would be my guess).

Windows can do NetBIOS on almost any protocol -- NetBEUI, TCP/IP
and IPX/SPX at least. So yes, install TCP/IP on the clients,
as well as the Microsoft Networking client and you should be fine.
You can use the IP addresses 192.168.x.y if you don't have any official
ones, eg 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2 etc.

Hamish