Re: exim for intermittent ppp connection? Also fetchmail bombs out.

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:01:58 +1000, Alan Eugene Davis wrote:
> I'm wondering if exim can solve my problem with mail.
>
> I am having some trouble with fetchmail.  I posted to this list previously,
> But am uncertain that my message got through.  I installed sendmail, and am
> uncertain I have it right.  Smail worked will for quite a long time.  After
> a recent upgrade I saw some traffic on this list about needing to
> reconfigure smail: that was a nightmare, having taken months when I finally
> did get it going.  Now do it again?  I'm not sure I ever understood---wrong,
> I'm sure I never did.

Leaping from the pot to the frying pan is often not a wise approach.
OTOH, it sometimes takes drastic measures to get up and running
according to schedule.  Right now, I don't see how replacing your MTA
is going to fix fetchmail.

Of course, you should be using smail from bo, unless you have a
permanent internet connection..at least that's what I was told and it
works for me.

> Sendmail is apparently working, but I'm not in command here either.  Someone
> on the list warned that smail has been going strange places, which prompted
> my change: I thought it might solve my problem with fetchmail.  Wrong.
> Fetchmail's problem --- crashing during the middle of the first message
> retrieval, every time, with an SMTP error because of failure to
> connect---still continues.

I don't know how smail could fix fetchmail.  Try fixing fetchmail.
Since I have the latest and greatest fetchmail in hamm, and it works
great (actually, I've never had a problem with fetchmail), I don't know
what to tell you, other than to look at the bug reports.

> I looked at exim.  Can exim do queues?  That is, can mail be queued and send
> out (like runq) at the time of ppp connection?  That's critical.  Exim seems
> to be saying it's best at managing systems that are connected full time.

exim is reportedly a dropin replacement for smail/sendmail, so yes (I
haven't tried it, but everything I've read says this is true).  I
believe this is mentioned in the package description, but if not, the
doc package for exim.

> Leaving all those aside for a moment?  Is it true about smail?

I've read here that smail will be fixed by the hamm release, although
again I don't have any direct knowledge.
--
David Stern