Re: sound

On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 12:32:44AM -0500, David B Wilson wrote:
> I've found that when I user Windows95 and then boot to Linux, that
> /proc/interrupts shows a sound blaster under IRQ5, and that dmesg
> doesn't turn up any sound errors.  Nothing is listed under IRQ5 when
> I boot directly to Linux, and dmesg shows a sound initialization problem.
> I have PnP disabled, so I don't know why warm booting makes a difference.

Well, the PnP card will be initialized by WIn95, and warm booting will not
destroy this initialization. Cold reboot does. You have to compile sound as
module and then configure isapnp (with pnpdump). The append "sound" to
/etc/modules or rely on kerneld.

> Unfortunately, booting into Linux after W95 doesn't make a big enough
> difference to make sound work.  /dev/sndstat does show an audio device
> (which it didn't before), but the SB MPU401 line under card config is
> still in parens, and cat'ing to /dev/audio, /dev/sound, and /dev/dsp,
> while no longer producing errors, still produce no sound.  The file
> I cat'ed was chimes.wav in my W95 partition, which I presume should make
> a noise.

Did you recompile the kernel? What sound card do you have, and what options
did you give the kernel config for sound?

> [This is a Yamaha OPL-3SAx chip.)

Well, more detailed info about your card would be helpful...

Marcus