Linux wont boot anymore

For some unknown reason, Linux just stopped booting :(
It goes through loading the kernel and the other checks till it gets to the
fsck area. There it finds that my hda2 is clean (where I have Linux). The
hd does some very rapid activity and then after about 3 secs, it just
stops! No errors, no other virtual screens to check for
anything,...nothing. I have left the machine just sitting there and came
back some time later, but still nothing.
Earlier today, I had been reading the man on isapnptools for a 'Best Data
33.6' internal modem. I did not run pnpdump or anything else. I tried
anything either--the led was on the whole time.
Any ideals?
I hate the thot of starting all over, because without getting the internal
modem working, all I have right now is a older 14.4 external, and I had
about 450megs of stuff on my linux partition.
Thanks,
Mike

If not Amiga, then:
Operating System of CHOICE?  Debian (Linux) or OS2 Warp3

me @ corecom.net
http://www.corecom.net/endsley/