X11 problem with Trident card under Debian 1.3.1

Hello!

I have a Pentium 120 with a Trident TGUI9680 card with 2mb RAM coupled
to a HP monitor upon which I installed Debian 1.3.1 from a CD.  I
installed the SVGA server, because it was supposed to support my card,
and made sure the monitor settings are correct.  I believe I chose the
correct settings for the card, based on the information I got in the
README (chose the "TGUI9680" card definition, no RAMDAC, no clock chip).

My problem is that when X loads, text (like in a menu or in an xterm) is
not entirely visible.  It looks like it's missing an occasional verticle
line or something.  Bold text displays perfectly, as do graphics.  I
have tried both the VGA_16 server and the MONO server, and neither of
them display this problem.  I also tried reinstalling the SVGA server,
and the xbase package, but neither had any effect.

What can I do to fix this?

Thank you for any and all help.

Eric Nystrom