Re: Which Linux should I install?

Leonardo Ruoso wrote:

> YEAH! I'm not a UNIX Wizard. I know a litle about TCP/IP networks. I am
> just receiveing my books on Linux next week from amazon. I agree that
> UNIX can do what NT can do.

thats a good start :)

>         So. UNIX is NOT for WORKSTATIONS. Is this true?

absolutley not! it makes a great workstation!the possibilities are endless...hell
you could even have a virtulaly diskless workstation that would have only enough
disk to get booted and then get all of its filesystem through
the network NFS system...the possibilities are endless...
you could even set up a workstation as just nothing more than a glorified X
terminal
(for a fraction of the cost of a real one)

>         If I agree to change every NT and NW host by a UNIX host I will change
> too the NetBeui and IPX/SPX protocols by only TCP/IP.

Well..Linux can do IPX/SPX but I dunno about NetBeuiin any case... TCP/IP is
better nayway...so yes..it would be ALOT better to just
change to TCP/IP

> Are there TCP
> printing services (client and server for Windows) that can work with
> Laserjet and DesketJet Printers?

hmm... yes...if yopu want Windows to directly run lpr then you may have trouble
but...
you can setup the equivalent of an "NT Print Queue" (thats what we call em at
work)
on th elinux machine and it would work transparently for the windows
machines...once you set it up

> Are there NFS (client and server) that
> can me easy to configure on Windows? to share a Windows over TCP/IP (a
> server is not a big problem because I want people archive important
> files in the UNIX servers)?

NFS clients are available for windows... for a comercial one check outNCD software
(they also have a great X server for windows)
but I doubt thatshwat you REALLY want. samba is a program for linux
that shares files using "lanmanager" protocols (thats what WinNT, win95 and
some others use)
it can even lie and claim to be an WinNT system!
it works REALLY WELL (in my experiance anyway)

>         If I want today to every user access a new area in the server to read
> and write files, and I'm working with Novell or NT I will just set the
> login script for each user, or each group of users. What need to be amde
> in Linux? Is there "Login scripts" or similars?

well...that depends...if you mean to have them logon to a windows machine and have
"drives mapp" then it would be similar...ive never tried that tho.
if you mean directly under linux... just make the file area...
it will be in the filesystem where evryone can see it and everyone you give acess
too can acess it
no need to edit any logon scripts...it should already be mounted

I hope this answeres your questions without being too confusing...
-Steve