Re: mail server

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> hi,
>    I'm setting up a debian box which will act as the internet connection
> and mail server.
>    What I'd like to do is have all mail delivered to the debian box be
> retrieved by the user via POP3 and all mail sent from users (from their
> win95 desktops) forwarded by the mail server to a smarthost.
>
>    Now when I go to install the standard mail server (smail?) it offers
> a couple of choices, I'm not sure which one would be appopriate.

Hi Daniel !

I have done a similar configuration for my company. This little Debian box
(an old 486-DX/66 with about 40 Megs RAM and 1,2 Gig Harddisk) serves about
20 Users as a SAMBA and mail server with smail and qpopper. The Internet
connection is done automatically by a cron job every 30 minutes (only 8 to
20 in the other hours only once in a hour) over an ISDN Sync-PPP connection
(with an external ELSA MicroLink TLpro terminal adapter). The machine is our
DNS server too.

To your second question, you should choose internet site as smail's default
config profile. The other configuration (smail, pppd, DNS, SAMBA) is more
fine tuning (e.g. I've configure smail to keep a copy of every mail, which
is send or received by the server).

BTW - We have a own internet domain which is served by one provider, and an
mail account at an other provider. The mail account is a multidrop mailbox
for the whole domain <in.rudolph-log.de>. This means, that no user id
checking is done at the providers box. Every mail to ...@in.rudolph-log.de
gets to our server, and when the user is unknown, it is send to our
postmaster account. The mails are retrieved by fetchmail in multidrop mode.

What we don't have is a internet connection for the users. We don't want
this, and I think, that eMail is enough for our users.

If you want to get my config files (as an example) mail me at work at
<dg@in.rudolph-log.de> and I will send you copies of the files.

It would be a pleasure to me to help you with your prob.

Bye

Daniel

Daniel Gross                                     eMail: dg@bingo.baynet.de
Hollarstrasse 2                                         dgross@gmx.net
D-85053 Ingolstadt, Germany

Speaking as someone who has delved into the intricacies of PL/I, I am sure
that only Real Men could have written such a machine-hogging, cycle-grabbing,
all-encompassing monster.  Allocate an array and free the middle third?
Sure!  Why not?  Multiply a character string times a bit string and assign the
result to a float decimal?  Go ahead!  Free a controlled variable procedure
parameter and reallocate it before passing it back?  Overlay three different
types of variable on the same memory location?  Anything you say!  Write a
recursive macro?  Well, no, but Real Men use rescan.  How could a language
so obviously designed and written by Real Men not be intended for Real Man use?