Re: Setting up network on Hamm install

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Ian Lynagh wrote:

> Do I use 158.152.29.198 (my IP addy as given by Demon) or
> 192.168.37.1 (the IP address I intend to use on my LAN?

Use the address on your LAN.  pppd will set your default route and do the
right thing with ifconfig when it comes up.

>      The netmask to use with your network.
>
> Ermmm, 255.255.0.0?

No, 255.255.255.0  The 192.168 address space is a set of 256 class C
networks.  If you want a Class B, you should use 172. space like
172.16.0.0 withg a netmask of 255.255.0.0. A class A would use 10. space.
THe IP-Masquerade mini-howto lists the addresses of these networks that
have been set aside for this.

>      The IP address of your network.
>
> 192.168.0.0?

No, 192.186.37.0

>      The broadcast address to use on your network.
>
> 192.168.0.0?

No, 192.168.37.255

>      The IP address of the default gateway system you should route
>      to, if your network has a gateway.

Do not worry about this, select none on the main workstation, pppd will
set the default gateway.  On other workstations on this subnet, use this
machine as their default gateway.

> ???
>
>      The system on your network that you should use as a DNS
>      (Domain Name Service) server.
>
> ???
Use this machine install the debian bind package. During
installation of bind, list your isp's nameservers as forwarders. This will
create a cacheing nameserver that will speed up mail delivery and save you
some bandwidth. You might create a local zone file for the 192.168.37
network and list your local machines.

>      Whether you connect to the network using Ethernet, and whether
>      your Ethernet interface is a PCMCIA card.
>
> Yes, and PCMCIA (3C589D).
>

> Thanks in advance
> Ian

Good luck.

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org